Sunday, August 5, 2012

Results!


Well, I think it is time for post number two for my weight loss blog. I asked the facebook world to give me some ideas on what to blog on for this entry. With your help, I have decided to write about "results!".

This will probably be a very short blog, but I feel it has the chance to be very effective. Results are one of the key things that people tend to push their focus towards.

Before I get into the meat of this entry and give you some of these details that I am sure you are dying to read about; let me point you towards two pieces of scripture that stand out to me regarding my epic weight loss journey.

"Commit your work to the LORD, and then your plans will succeed."
Proverbs 16:3

"But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded."
2 Chronicles 15:7

When I gave my weight loss up to the Lord, it took the stress and pressure of pleasing myself (and others) and focused it on letting the Lord work in me. This was the greatest thing I could have ever done and is the sole reason why the Lord has blessed me with the ability to work hard in the gym and to develop better eating habits

Now onto the reason why you are reading...the "results!".

Obviously, the top statistic that people want to know about is body weight. While my first entry covered this heavily, I will also take the time to include it in this entry. At my worst I was 300 pounds. I am now 217 pounds. As of today, I have lost 83 pounds. My long term goal is to see myself under 200 pounds. I would just like to show you a picture to make you think a little bit deeper about this.

I know, I know. You are probably either saying, "What is that?" or "That is disgusting!". Well, that is a pound of fat. Consider for a second what losing 83 pounds of that would look like.

This seems to be a good place to move on to my next statistic. This is probably a better one to study as it tends to give you a better reading on how you are actually doing in your weight loss journey. Body fat percentage is very important. For example, there are 250 pound men who have less that 10% body fat. You may ask yourself, is that good or bad? Well, a healthy body fat percentage is around 15%. For comparison sake, at 300 pounds I was a whooping 40% body fat. In other words, 40% of my body was fat. As of today, I am at 24% body fat. I have lost 16% of the fat in my body. While I have a good ways to go in order to get to the healthy number of 15%; it feels much better to be at 1/4% body fat than nearly 1/2%.
One huge way to determine if your weight loss is actually working does not even require a scale, measuring tapes, or even a body fat reader (which is a pretty awesome piece of technology). Your clothing can be a huge indicator of whether or not you are losing weight. At my heaviest I wore a 46 in my waist and was between a XXL and a XXXL in shirt size.  Both of these pictures focus on clothing items that were once tight on me.  The shorts will fall off of me if I do not wear them with a belt.  As of today, I am a 36 in my waist and can wear a medium shirt, though I prefer a large.

The most important result to me though is the fact that I feel absolutely incredible.  I can do push-ups, I can run miles, I can hike without stopping to take a break, and I am starting to see some definition come through in my muscles.  The changes are amazing to see!

I want to take this final paragraph to thank you all and to tell you all that I love you dearly for standing by me, encouraging me, and loving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment