While most of the questions I have fielded about my journey to better health have been, "How did you do it?" type questions. I think the most important aspect to this amazing change in my life is held within the roots of it's beginning.As part of my new weight loss inspired blog, my first entry will be a discussion of that very beginning. In other words, what finally woke me up!
I will take you back to a Clemson vs. Carolina game in November of 2010 (I know, I remember we lost too). While spending some much needed time away with some amazing friends, David and Megan Harris; we watched the Clemson game at their home in Conway. I had not weighed myself in well over five years. They conveniently had a scale in their guest bathroom. Considering Clemson was getting spanked and taking the time to stand up on that scale seemed like a great way to pass the time, I stepped "up to the plate". Upon stepping on to that scale, I saw a number that will forever be scarred into the back of my brain, 300. As in pounds. Yes, a whopping 300 pounds showed up on that digital scale. I let it reset and tried again. 300. My heart sank.
So, I began to do what everyone else who has ever tried to lose weight has done. I started dieting. Before I move along with this story, I would like to explain something to you very quickly. Through my journey if I have learned anything it is that temporary dieting is non effective. I will cover more of that later though. I had also started working a job that required a great deal of manual labor. These two combined gave me very temporary results. By the time we visited our dear friends, David and Megan again in June 2011, I had lost a total of 20 pounds. 20 pounds in 7 months. While it was progress, it was very poor progress.
Less than a month later, I reverted back to my awful eating habits and had taken a new job that required substantially less manual labor. From June to November of 2011, I ballooned back to 290 pounds. Talk about disheartening!
I like to call this my breaking point. I believe, according to my faith in Jesus Christ, that the Lord will break you down in order to create a way for you to let Him in to let Him take over. What I did not rationalize is that this is a considerable part of every aspect of your life including morphing your lifestyle into that of a healthy one. I gave up the dieting nonsense for good and turned my weight loss over to the Lord. I asked Him to take it off my shoulders and to do with me what He willed.I learned the hard way that dieting is nonsense. In order to lose weight, you must change your lifestyle. It took 27 years for me to put on 300 pounds. I was immature to expect it to go away in six months to a year. I began eating better. I researched a group of what I call power foods (which I will include in another blog very soon!). I researched workout plans and more recently created a support group for staying active by running, hiking, walking, jogging, biking, etc. I put all these into motion and with the help and support of my Lord and Savior plus my dearest family and friends (I love you Chasity Black, with all my heart and thank you for your encouragement and support!) I have now shed 80 pounds off of my once 300 pound frame. By the way, next to me is Mr. David Harris who also started his own weight loss journey, he has been a continued fountain of encouragement and knowledge and he deserves a special thanks. Looking good there, Mr. Harris!
It is not easy, it is not always pleasant, and at times I greatly feel like giving up. However, I keep coming back to the amazing people the Lord has put in my life to encourage me. Thank you all for that.
I am also beginning to see the same changes in some of my closest friends. There are numerous people close to me that have began their own journey. I know the Lord will use you in the same ways He has used me. I hope to be an encouragement to you all. I just want you all to understand something very important. Changing my lifestyle was not easy. It required me to become "broken". Broken in order for Him to "put me back together" and to teach me to lean on Him even in those times where I myself think that I am strong enough to do "it" on my own. Thank you Christ for continuing to mold me even if I have given you clay that is full of air bubbles and dried out (seemingly at times, useless) pieces.
Thank you.

No comments:
Post a Comment